About This Workshop
Imagine that you have a spreadsheet containing every data point about your customers — their preferences, their web browsing behavior, the products they’ve bought. What would you do with all that information? When you know SQL, you can slice and dice that data any way you want, providing critical insights that drive business strategy.
SQL provides powerful but reasonably simple tools for data analysis and handling. This workshop will take absolute beginners through the basics of SQL to an ability to write queries with confidence — and start using the tool immediately.
- Understand SQL vocabulary such as tables, schema, functions and JOINS.
- Understand the differences between different data management systems for SQL databases.
- Create basic SQL queries by applying Boolean logic, sorting functions, and commenting.
- Apply SQL aggregate functions [MIN, MAX, SUM, AVG, COUNT].
- Use advanced SQL commands [OR, GROUP BY, HAVING] and conditional operators [ =,!=,>,<, IN, NOT IN, and BETWEEN] to filter data.
- Basic technical aptitude and orientation to computers, and curiosity to learn new tools.
- Willingness to learn about a text-based/principle driven analytic tool with little real GUI support, and determination to push through the natural frustration of confronting new concepts.
- This bootcamp is taken completely online and in person.
- We will provide login information and a link to the platform on the day of the session.
- You will need a computer and a strong internet connection
Prior to class: Watch this short Introduction to SQL video. Download the DB Browser that is compatible with your operating system.